Friday, May 16, 2008

Mortification

mortification - noun.
1. A feeling of humiliation or shame, as through some injury to one's pride or self-respect.
2. A cause or source of such humiliation or shame.
3. What happens when the ECI lady shows up at your house for a 10:00 appointment which you had totally forgotten about and the house is in a shambles and you look like you just rolled out of bed even though you haven't, you just look that way because you've been taking care of 500 babies.
4. When the same ECI lady is at your house and you are in the bathroom attempting to flush the contents of your toddler's diaper down the toilet and you realize the contents of the aforementioned diaper are missing. And you go to the living room and see that the contents had fallen out onto the floor when you picked up the diaper.

The funny thing is, about 8:30 or so I actually thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be awful if there was an appointment today I am forgetting about?" But silly me didn't bother to check my calendar. So when the doorbell rang at 10:00 my heart sank and I prayed I that when I looked through the peephole I would see a package left by UPS or a salesman or anyone else I didn't know so I could ignore it. But no, it was Angie, ready for her scheduled visit with J. The mess didn't seem to bother her at all, and I'm sure she doesn't expect a clean house when she visits. But I usually have at least the living room and kitchen fairly tidy when visitors come over. And my hair is usually brushed. And I am usually dressed.

Oh well. I needed something to blog about today anyway.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I am the type of person that never forgets an appointment. I am really good at writing things down and following my calendar...exactly. Then, this past January I forgot to write something down...speech therapy appointment with Ben. The thearpist comes out to the house and videotapes the parent demonstrating various techniques. I checked the folder to see when I scheduled the next appointment 10 minutes before she was due to arrive. It was 9:50 and was still in my pajamas...which is sooo unlike me. I never got dressed so quickly in my life....make-up and hair too. My daughter got Ben ready and some how we made it! I am sure your social worker sees alot...what do they expect when you have 500 kids running around?

Laura

Jamie said...

I always worry about unexpected visitors. I'd hate for them to know that I willingly spend a lot of time in my pj's or at least sweats and a t-shirt...some pastors wife I am! LOL!