Monday, December 7, 2009

Toddler Art

I have to try extra-hard to walk the fine line between guiding and controlling whenever I do "projects" with the kids.

Last week we stuck fun foam stickers on Christmas trees, and when the kids finished way sooner than I wanted them to, I brought out sequins for them to glue on. Joe wanted to glue his on the back and at first I was like, no, they go on the front. Then I realized it doesn't matter and I let him do it.

I took great pains to show them how to just use a little dot of glue, but as you can see, most 2-year-olds would rather glob on as much glue as possible. It was messy, but in the end it dried clear so again, what does it matter?


Surprisingly, Dan was much more self-controlled with the glue and didn't make that much of a mess. He's always been a "less is more" kind of guy when it comes to art projects. I always have to encourage him to keep going, add a little more, etc. But maybe that's another way I'm being too controlling? Or maybe I'm overthinking this. Wouldn't be the first time!

In the end, everyone had fun and I need to remember it's the process that matters the most!

0 comments: