Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Blessed Easter

I sure wish I could say that Easter weekend went off without a hitch, but it didn't. It was a good thing for me that a few days before Easter I read an article discussing how the devil doesn't want us to celebrate the Resurrection, so he'll use every opportunity he can to steal our joy by making us think we've failed if we don't acheive the "perfect" celebration. 

So when I had car trouble on a 600-mile road trip on Good Friday, when two of my outfits for the weekend ended up with major wardrobe malfunctions, and I was missing an ingredient for a recipe for a family gathering, I did my best to just brush it off and not get too worked up about it.  It's only cilantro after all.  My only meltdown was on Saturday when I realized that despite all of my planning, I wasn't going to get away with not washing Mikea's hair.  Washing, combing, and styling her hair from beginning to end takes a minimum of 4 hours, with no interruptions.  And you would be correct to surmise that I've never been able to style her hair without interruptions, so whenever I "do hair" I have to set aside an entire day to get it done. I didn't have that kind of time and for a few minutes I thought Easter was ruined because Mikea wasn't going to have an elaborate hair style.  This is where my super hero of a husband came to the rescue again (the first was on my road trip the day before when he loaded up the kids, drove to where I was stranded, and changed my tire - fortunately I was only 30 miles from home!) He washed Mikea's hair, put 3 of the kids down for naps, and took Rebekah to the store so I could have Mikea all to myself.  After combing out her hair, I only had time for a ponytail - but that's ok, she was as still pretty as a picture. 

All that aside, the best part of Easter was that the oldest three kids finally seemed to understand why we celebrate.  I overheard them at the lunch table prompting each other with, "Jesus is risen!"  "He is risen indeed!  Alleluia!" What a happy sound!  We decorated eggs, enjoyed family gatherings with grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins, and participated in no less than 3 egg hunts!  (Four for Joe counting the one at school.)

                                        
  




                                   
Looking back, it was a blessed Easter indeed!

0 comments: